2018 Boston Motorcycle Riders Toy Run to Pilgrim Hospital

Bright sunshine again for the 11thannual Boston Motorcycle Riders Toy Run to Pilgrim hospital Childrens Ward.  35 riders tucked into a hearty breakfast in the Hammer & Pincers, a total of  28 bikes took part in today’s run, with riders from Mablethorpe, Grimsby, Chapel St Leonards, Skegness, Spalding, Sleaford and Saracen’s Head, as well as the Boston Club members.

After a photocall at the Hammer & Pincers, the bikes rode a meandering route through the town to the Market Place.  From there, through the precinct to the Pilgrim Hospital, where we were welcomed onto the children’s ward by the staff, and the gifts were placed around their Christmas Tree.  The club supplied a free drink to all those who took part before we all dispersed, a good social occasion once again.

David Simpson

Round Robin Ride to Sportsbikeshop.com

The 21stAugust saw our second ride out ending at Sportsbike Shop. This time, it was decided that a shorter 30-mile ride would result in us getting there before everyone else was going home! We set as normal from The Hammer and Pincers at 7.15pm. We turned left onto Holmes Road, one of the few twisty bits near to Boston. After passing through Kirton and Sutterton, we got onto the B1397 towards Gosberton, a road I always enjoy, some nice sweeping bends! We then turned off heading to Gosberton Marsh. I had to slow up a bit at one point, as a tabby cat ran at full speed down the road in front of us! Luckily he shot off into a garden, and didn’t have to use up one of his nine lives! After crossing the A16, we took quite an interesting twisty bit that took us through Surfleet Seas End, and back onto the A16. A short burst on some A roads, past Spalding and Weston took us onto some Bumpy B roads through Moulton Seas End and onto a very short bit of A17. We then turned right into Wash Road for the final, very twisty stretch. Apart from one very dusty, gravelly approach to one sharp bend, Wash Road seemed in pretty good shape. I did hear one rider managed to ride through the dust and gravel, but kept himself upright! We arrived at Sportsbike Shop just before 8pm, to enjoy some live music, burgers and coffee. It was nice to be there before it got too late. After a bit of window shopping in the store, it was a short ride home!

Fox and Hounds, Old Somerby 7 August Paul Taylor

Another beautiful evening for a ride, and another good turnout. Paul lead on a superb route via Bourne and Corby Glen. The B road that was the old A16 to Spalding is now an excellent biking road with a variety of bends, a very good surface and next to no traffic. Follow that with the excellent road through Edenham, Grimsthorpe, Corby Glen and Bitchfield – what more could an old hooligan ask for? We all arrived without incident at the Fox and Hounds and sat outside as the weather was so good. We all made our own ways home the Cranwell/Sleaford contingent using the High Dyke and the rest opting for the A52.

Ride out to the Salutation Inn Nettleton 31stJuly – David Simpson


I was a very pleasant evening as 8 of us gathered at the Hammer & pincers for the annual ride to The Salutation Inn Nettleton.  This year I decided on a completely new route through Woodall Spa, Horsington and all the back roads to Tealby. We lost Phil Riches on the way owing to a shoulder injury, and the bumpy roads! A somewhat dubious road led us out of the back of Tealby to the High St, then on to the Nettleton top to enjoy the view, see photo. Then on down the hill into Nettleton.  The ride back was meant to be a casual affair but led by Cass it ended up a very lively ride back to Horncastle, and then we all made our own ways home from there. Most enjoyable.

Blue Bell, Belchford 24th July. Phil Riches

Another hot day took its toll on some riders, can’t say I blame them as at 6.45pm it was still 28°C in Sibsey.
So, the magnificent 7 (+ 1 pillion) gathered at the ‘Hammer’ for my first ever lead, a route planned to perfection…well in my head at least !
I wanted a mix of roads to try to suit all, hopefully this was achieved. I must say it’s difficult to know what pace to set, as I’m naturally a….gets on with it type? But also aware that I wouldn’t want anyone to get a ticket, so speed limits were (generally) adhered to.
I incorporated a ‘splash’ (Hagworthingham) was hoping for another but sadly time ran out. We had one horse encounter, and a couple of tractors on tight roads but pretty smooth going all in all. One of our group also suffered the embarrassing ” hit the kill switch ” situation! I’ll mention no names he’s aware of his actions 😂.
We also came across a couple miles stretch of as I call it “Kitty Litter”!! Such fun on a 600 sports bike!!
On arriving at the destination I’d like to mention it was good to see Paul and Sandra who had beaten us to it on their Ural ! boosting the numbers a little.
The ‘ Bell ‘ was a most pleasant pub with good beer and I believe “decent chips” and would recommend to anyone.
So, here’s looking forward to my next lead out now….I wonder where I could take y’all…🤔. Until then, safe riding. It was a pleasure. – Phil.

Arbuckles Diner, Downham Market 17th July Mark Wood

Seven people on six bikes turned up for this one. It is not easy to find an interesting route to Downham Market but Mark Managed it, taking the old road out of Kirton, a little bit of A17 before turning right and head through Moulton across some very quiet but good surface roads to Wisbech and on to Arbuckles Diner. A variety of levels of hunger were satisfied before we struck out on a more direct route home. The weather was fine all evening, we have been very lucky this year, long may it continue.

The Willoughby Arms, Willoughby 10th July Paul Taylor

Another fine evening for a ride to the Wolds. Paul Taylor with Sandra as pillion, leading another seven bikes and riders down a mixture of roads including the entire length of the Bluestone Heath Road. All good surface no grass, gravel or fords in sight!
Very little traffic was encountered, this could have been something to do with our national team kicking a football around some foreign field.
This same event was also on the TV when we arrived at the Pub. Which was very quiet, it is no wonder Pubs are going bust left, right and centre when you consider our small group of riders often double or quadruple the number of customers when we arrive.
After a pleasant chinwag we made our way home, it may have been dark but was still pleasantly warm.

National Rally 7/8th July Clive Taylor

Urals are curious machines; essentially a Russian copy of a wartime BMW they are the only motorcycle designed to be factory fitted with a sidecar and are still available new; admittedly, market forces (mainly American) and emission regulations have forced rapid changes in recent years; the latest ones even have disc brakes and fuel injection! Despite this they are still a very old design, built from memory, with many idiosyncrasies and little that could be described as sophistication. Despite being 750cc they only produce a little over 40hp and struggle to reach 60mph. Riding one is a little like being the chairman on a committee – you may have a casting vote but there’s no guarantee that things will go in the direction you want them to!

Three club members own examples of these machines and although they are all are the same model, the Dalesman (known as the Tourist in the rest of Europe), there are significant differences:

Mine is the oldest being a 2004; it’s fitted with Japanese carbs, but a Russian built alternatorknown as the “Hand Grenade”. It sounds like a blender with a brick in it. I was quite nervousbefore the event as I had never ridden with a passenger and my only previous long trip had ended with a ride in a breakdown truck after the ignition rotor fell apart.

Paul Taylor has a similar 2005 version; it has the later Japanese alternator and sounds much better than mine. Paul is an old hand at sidecars and appeared to have no worries about his or his steeds abilities; given that all 3 wheels on his bike point in different directions owing to a previous owner’s involuntary detour into traffic I marvelled at his confidence.

Andy Carrot has a newer version; it’s got the Japanese alternator, European suspension and a disc front brake. Paul and I don’t follow too close behind Andy cos if he stops quick we can’t. Out of the 3 of us my money was on Andy to finish without bother (but he did have to put up with Paul Facey as his passenger).

They do have at least one thing in common with Harleys – You will never see 2 the same!

Quite why we decided to enter 3 Urals in the ACU National Rally I can’t remember but, having found willing passengers, team SLUG (South Lincs Ural Group) was born and enter wedid. Our aim was to achieve a “Daytime Gold” award which required us to travel 280 miles and visit 12 of the available 60 check points in 10 hours or less.

An average speed of 28mph does not sound too arduous but the event distances betweencheck points are actually “adjusted” by the organisers to make the maths work and resulted in a total route distance of 300+ miles; factor in a cruising speed of only 50mph, a compulsory 40-minute break, 11 checkpoint stops and 3 refuel stops and it becomes a very tight schedule.

The fun started on a glorious sunny Saturday at the BMR manned checkpoint at Langrick cafe at 12 noon precisely. We took it in turns to lead which meant that our passengers (Sandra Taylor, Paul and Nick Facey) had to take turns in navigating using a prepared route book with maps and instructions for each leg.

Leg 1 to West Ashby passed without incident. I think we could all have found it without the map. Leg 2 to Lincoln was also a simple job with the map only needed for the last 1⁄2 mile to locate the checkpoint near the ring-road (pity the checkpoint was unmanned having closedat 1pm and reverted to a “virtual” check).

We lost Paul briefly on Leg 3 to Gainsborough when, despite being in the lead and having the map, he went straight on instead of turning left over the bridge. Andy and I waited in a pub car park

where I gave Nick a bit of a scare by forgetting about the chair and almost ramming him into a parked car. Paul turned up moments later and we continued to the checkpoint without further ado.

On Leg 4 to Clumber park Andy/Paul F took the wrong route as the turn we needed was not very well signposted. No real harm done but it did dump us onto the A1 for one junction (not fun at 50mph amongst the trucks). This is where we found out that Paul’s outfit had a smaller fuel capacity than standard owing to the tank having taken the full impact of the previous owner’s gentlemen’s vegetables when he crashed it!

After Fuel stop 1 we continued on Leg 5 to Kegworth. Typically, leading the longest leg fell to me; the least experienced rider with the least experienced map reader. I took a wrong turn on the Nottingham ring-road, Andy followed me, Paul got separated but went the right way anyway. Andy and I lost a bit of time dithering over whether to try to find Paul but eventually decided to head for the checkpoint where Paul was waiting for us.

Leg 6 to Burton was another tale of confusing road signage sending us a longer way than planned and it also put us on the wrong road into Burton, so we lost more time finding our bearings and getting to the checkpoint. We took our break in Burton during which we calculated that we had done half the trip but had used up 6 of our 10 available hours. Things were not looking good.

Leg 7 to Syston passed without incident but at the start of Leg 8 to Kettering we went slightly off route for another fuel stop. On the way back to our route a slow tractor held us up for more time than we could really spare (it’s not just a Lincolnshire problem then!). The Kettering checkpoint was at the very impressive Matchless and AJS owners club premises.

Kettering was a return to roads that we’ve ridden before and Leg 9 to Stibbington saw us making good progress on familiar ground; at least we were on the right side of the A1. Sadly, the clock was ticking down, and Leg 10 was a mad dash in fading light to reach Gildo’s in Wisbech at 3 minutes to 10. The bikes seemed to run better in the cooling air but with no chance of reaching Langrick we had to settle for Silver instead of Gold and finish at Gildo’s with an event mileage of 255 miles. At least Gildo’s is voted the best checkpoint almost every year and has a plentiful supply of tea and cake.

We left Wisbech, sore, sunburnt and in proper darkness for a final fuel stop and trundle back to Langrick. Whilst the team failed to get the Gold it was a damn fine attempt; the weather was kind to us and against all expectations all 3 Urals made the entire trip without having to get the spanners out once.

Na Zdorovie (that’s “cheers” in Russian – the literal translation is actually “let’s get drunk”).

Any takers for next year? (Thanks for a great report Clive, quite an adventure! I now feel short changed – my National Rally started and ended at Langrick, lasted 7hrs 20mins visiting12 check points in 280 miles to get the ‘Gold’ without incident – perhaps participating on a larger capacity modern solo equipped with satnav makes it too easy! – Ed).

Boston Bike Night 5th July

This event moved to Central Park for the first time and reaction was mixed. Four members of the club organise this event and found it easier and simpler to plan and run on the day.

The club chairman commented “Bike Night club stand extremely busy, 7 new members, a record I think for one event, Donna and Paul Facey busy selling T shirts, new venue seemed to work a treat! Much easier being able to set the stand up earlier, prevents all the last -minute panic.”

In general, the exhibitors liked the move because they could set up earlier, a few visitors commented that the atmosphere was not as good as in the past, which proves you cannot please everybody!

The Splash, Little Cawthorpe

The 3rdJuly ride to The Royal Oak Inn, Little Cawthorpe attracted an unusually small group of riders. I’m not sure if the blisteringly hot weather has put some riders off venturing out? It could have been a huge event looming…… preparations for Boston Bike Night? Or maybe England playing Columbia in some football tournament could have had something to do with it? So a small group of riders made their way up towards Sibsey, and then Stickford to get to some more interesting roads. We rode past the old airfields to Old Bollingbroke. We made our way through some picturesque villages, South Ormsby, South Thoresby, Muckton to name a few. Last time I rode this way, there had been heavy rain that had washed mud and gravel into many of the roads. Luckily this time the roads were dry and clear. However, I did feel a little nervous approaching one sharp bend near Muckton Bottom! Luckily we all negotiated it safely, although I’m sure I saw some bits of a classic Italian Morini at the side of the road? But, that’s another story! We arrived at The Royal Oak, and enjoyed the warm summer evening in the beer garden. It wasn’t long before the loud cheering from inside the pub told us England had scored! Every now and again, one us sneaked inside to check the scores. Unfortunately, just before leaving, Columbia equalised, sending the match into extra time! After enjoying the warm evening’s ride home, I walked in to see a very happy Gareth Southgate on the TV. I’d missed the nail biting drama of England finally coming out on top, after a penalty shootout! So, not a bad evening at all!

The “Backwards Bender” 26th June Paul Taylor

A good turnout for this annual bend-fest, any ride-out that manages to go through the Deer Park in both directions has got to be good, add to that glorious weather, absence of the dreaded ‘loose chippings’ and some of the best roads in the Wolds, what more could you want?

Marrowbone and Cleaver, Kirmington 19th June Clive Taylor

A glorious sunny evening with hardly a cloud in the sky and only 3 members turned up at the Hammer and Pincers! Makes you wonder what it will take to get some people out on their bikes. Luckily, 2 prospective new members turned up for a trial run.

With the newcomers suitably briefed, a back-road trip to Revesby led to the customary free- for-all through the Deer Park. Beyond Horncastle we used very little main road in order to save the obvious Caistor High Street route for the homeward journey. The Bluestone Heath road took us most of the way, followed by a few lanes around Binbrook. Considering that the destination was basically North of Boston it seemed strange to be heading West into the low sun for quite so much of the ride.

On arrival at Guy’s pub we were surprised to find that 2 more members had made their own way there on bikes that could not have come from more distant points of the bikingspectrum; Dave on his not very old Harley and Glen on his “getting on a bit now” RD250yam.

With the beer glasses drained, the sun getting low in the sky (and thankfully behind us) good use was made of the Caistor High Street to get us home.

“Clunker run” Abbey Lodge, Woodhall, 12th June Paul Taylor

The first run of the year designed for smaller or older machines, was blessed with good weather. A varied selection of machines assembled at the H&P including an AJS 350, a

Yamaha RD 250, a more modern Harley, a classic 500 Triumph, Clive’s pretty little KawasakiTrail bike and a peculiar 3-wheeler (in a 2 at the front 1 at the back arrangement).
Four members turned up on ‘unsuitable’ bikes i.e. big and modern, so they had a run oftheir own and met up with the clunckers later.

Paul Taylor lead the clunkers and had to change the route on the hoof when met with a‘Road Closed’ sign.
The other four arrived at the Abbey Lodge and had only just dismounted when the clunckerscould be heard fast approaching and soon came into view. Both groups agreed they’d had agood run suitable for their type of bike, so you can please all the people some of the time!

Ebrington arms, Kirkby on Bain 5th June Andrew Carrott

This was my first ride out for some time as a group lead rider (actually the title Group Captain has a certain ring to it, I propose we use that from now on) and was to one of my favourite pubs, the Ebrington Arms in Kirkby On Bain (if you like real ale and good food you might find it appealing too). A motley crew of members assembled at the Hammer and Pincers for the inevitable boring first bit of negotiating straight roads to get to the good stuff. A few days before hand I had driven an interesting route out towards Sleaford andacross country to the pub. We didn’t go that way. Straight up to Woodhall Spa and onwardsinto the foothills, where us Fen folk start to think about carrying oxygen, took us through the great metropolises of Stixwold, Bucknall, Gautby (where we saw the deepest pile of mid junction gravel this side of a council stockpile), Waddingworth, Horsington, Old Woodhall (where my love/hate relationship with my satnav took a turn for the worse), Langton, Thornton and Roughton (pronounced Rooton by the locals) before arrival at the pub where beer and chips were enjoyed. Despite 27 years of Tuesday night bike club meanderings we still took in some roads that riders who have been in the club for all that time had not ridden before. I call that a result.

15 Counties, 2nd June, Dave Tuley

An early start was essential for this ride and 8 of us set off from Wide Bargate before 7am. Unfortunately, the weather forecast proved inaccurate and we had a good drenching before getting very far. The first stop was for a hearty breakfast at Downham Market, Norfolk. We then headed roughly south to Lakenheath,Suffolk, before turn west to tick off Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire and just clipping the edge of Bedfordshire at Pertenhall.

We then enjoyed the sweeping curves of the B660 and B662 heading towards Cotterstock, Norhamptonshire and then on cross country passing the impressive Welland Viaduct at Harringworth and into Rutland. The next stop was the ‘Hungry Hogs’ on the A47. Then on into Leicestershire, skirting Leicester cutting across to the pretty market town of Market Bosworth and on to Austry in Warwickshire.

The next stop was for petrol at Needwood in Staffordshire where Paul Taylor managed to repair a rear wheel puncture using only wizardry and a small pencil case and his son Glen stripped and rebuilt a carb to cure a flooding problem in double quick time on his immaculate RD 250 (where mechanical aptitude is concerned it is obviously like father like son).

Underway again we passed the impressive frontage of JCB’s HQ before moving into the Peak District National Park in Derbyshire and on to Allgreave in Cheshire. The weather had improved to such an extent everyone had dried out. Next stop was Rowsley, we had a bit of difficulty as the chosen café was full and devoid of parking, but we found another just around the corner, so all was well. Leaving Rowsley we travelled up a very challenging single-track road with a couple of steep uphill tight bends reminiscent of parts of Hardknott pass. More minor but less challenging roads took us just south of Chesterfield to use the M1 for a couple of junctions heading for Yorkshire. The final fuel stop was on the bypass around Worksop Nottinghamshire.

The run from there to Newark is usually one of my old favourites, however mother nature spoiled the party by unleashing such torrential rain there were rivers running across the road!

Everyone went their separate ways at the end, although quite a few of us met up again after a change to dry clothing, to enjoy an excellent meal at the H&P, in good old Lincolnshire.

We will be doing it all again but in the opposite direction on Saturday 18th August.

Dolphin Fish & Chips Run

I was really looking forward to my first run of the year; to Dolphin Fish & Chips at Sutton on Sea. I had been bike testing all day in glorious sunshine, if a little too warm at times. On my way to the Hammer & Pincers, I soon realised the weather had taken a bit of a chilly turn for the worse! The wind had got up too! Luckily I had taken my jacket liner and a thermal top in my very brightly coloured top box! So a quick adding of layers was needed before setting off. I think the wind and cold had caught a few members by surprise, but it was good to see about a dozen riders raring to go!

We set off on some fairly straight roads out towards Langrick and Sibsey, to avoid Boston town centre. Just after Stickney we turned off onto some more interesting roads. Through East Kirkby on some narrow tree lined roads with some nice bends. Continuing through Salmonby, Tetford and South Ormsby, we saw some quaint cottages, some more enjoyable twisty bits. We also encountered some unwelcome freshly laid gravel! Once at Alford, it was back onto the main roads. The last stretch to Sutton-on-Sea has some good twisty bends, but I think everyone was feeling the wind and cold by then

We arrived at the Dolphin Restaurant at 8:20pm, and were given the normal warm welcome. We quickly ordered our cod or haddock & chips. I felt a bit sorry for Neil. He seems to come with us every year, but always has to dash off to work with just a cup of tea! The fish and chip supper was excellent as normal! We were even brought extra bowls of chips!

After we’d filled our bellies, a few hardy riders took a walk down to the seafront. I decided like most others to make my way home. I checked all my pockets, all nooks and crannies to find any items of clothing that might make the journey home a bit warmer!

We really do get such a warm welcome at the Dolphin, and the fish and chips are so good. I do think we should make a second visit each year! What does everyone else think?

Wishing Well 8thMay  D Simpson


This ride out was subject to a review after a recce on the previous Saturday, revealed some of the minor roads to be in the now to be expected terrible state, bordering on the unsafe!  A second recce on Tuesday morning by Richard and myself on a revised route which was much more agreeable, and included the well known Old Somerby to Bourne road!

12 bikes gathered at the Hammer  in glorious weather for what proved to be a cracking ride, some cloud thankfully shielded us from the low glaring sun just when it mattered making it most enjoyable.

The fine weather continued at the Wishing Well enabling us to sit outside for a very pleasurable evening  drink & chinwag. The ride home also in the dry!

Red Lion Run West Deeping – Richard White

Every year I lead a run to a Red Lion, this year it was the one in West Deeping. The weather had improved all day and by the time the six riders set off the sky was blue with a few white clouds and the conditions were just about perfect.
We had a brisk ride on the A52 before branching off to Billingborough, Folkingham and Bitchfield. Turning left onto the B1176 we followed this excellent road through to Corby Glen, then the A151 to the outskirts of Bourne. Then reverted to a bit of main road in the form of the A15 before taking a right along the old roman road known as King Street to West Deeping. The barmaid was pleased to see us as we more than doubled the number of customers, no wonder pubs are going bust at an alarming rate. It is not often we all agree but Mick Andrews, Andy Hunt, Dave Tuley, Kev Copeland and Paul Taylor all said it was a fine route (one of my favourite stretches of road – Old Somerby to Bourne, Ed).

Massingberd Arms – Kev Copeland

The weather put paid to this one, Kev turned up but nobody else did!

Woodies Bar – Clive Taylor

The story of our ride to Woodies starts the day before the actual ride, when a test run of the route discovered several areas of pot holes and gravel; not the ideal combination on narrow lanes in the evening gloom. Changes to the route avoiding the bad bits meant using a bit more main road but with the light still fading quite early at this time of year and my headlight being “poor” (that’s thepolite word for it), a longer run to find better roads was not an option.

Tuesday may have dawned fine and bright but by 7pm it had deteriorated to overcast and windy with the odd spot of rain on the breeze. Surprisingly, 5 bikes gathered at the Pub (Dave Tuley, Andy Hunt, Kev Copeland, Mark Wood and myself). The run itself went well, not much traffic, enough light and enough bendy bits to keep us entertained. Strangely only Andy Hunt seemed to keep up, the rest kept dropping back out of sight only to reappear after a few minutes. Having a play perhaps?

After about 10 minutes at Woodies we were joined by Paul and Sandra; apparently on their way to meet us at the pub Paul saw a group of bikes ride past the road end and, cursing me for leaving early, he set off in hot pursuit. The first bike caught was a KTM but it promptly turned off and left the group; undeterred he continued in pursuit of the remaining bikes until the penny dropped with the realisation that it wasn’t us he was chasing. Paul should have known better really! When am I ever early for anything?

The ride home was uneventful, dark and quite slow. My headlight is seriously kak; how can a single bulb unit have dip beam set too low and main beam set too high at the same time? –led spots?

Ride Out to The Blue Bell at Whaplode St Catherine. D Simpson

Apologies for this late report, and missing the last newsletter, but 7 bikes gathered at the Hammer on a not particularly pleasant and dark evening for the ride, Richard, Phil, Kev, Mick Andrews, Dave Smart, Paul & Sandra, and myself. A steady ride to the pub using mainly better roads got us there in time for food for those that needed it! The fog descended forthe return trip, just the time to find out that the Bonneville’s headlight was pointingskywards, hence a slower ride home for me, although it was obviously too slow for some as they blasted past on the A17!

27th March, the first ride out of the year. Paul Taylor

Traditionally the first ride out was always to an American themed OK diner, of which there are three in easy distance namely Cromwell Newark, Tickencote Stamford, and Colsterworth Grantham all on the side of the A1.
The target for the 27th was Colsterworth, as the clocks had gone forward only two days previous, at 7.15pm light was still short, so I chose an easy direct route, so we could make adequate progress. Which was Hammer and Pincers, A52 to Spittlegate roundabout the left on the B1176, a cracking bit of road, which also passes through the pleasant little village of Bitchfield (should have been Sandra’s birth place!) (how does she put up with him! – Ed.) And onto join the A151 for Colsterworth then a few miles South on the A1 to our destination. On arriving at a nearly empty restaurant we all ordered suitably unhealthy meals which were far too good. Richards diet soon went out of the window.

The return trip was a typical free for all with Richard and Dave heading North up the A1 and Kev, Clive, me and Sand heading East on somewhat quieter roads until we got to Castle Bytham when we got somehow split up. Kev caught me up while I sat at the traffic lights in the middle of Bourne which were stuck on red. We eventually got fed up, went through the red light made our way home via Pinchbeck, Sutterton etc. A good first run of the year.

Regularity run 2018 – Kev Copeland

In what has become a yearly tradition for the club, just before the clocks go forward, we run our regularity run.

The rules are simple: Riders are set off at intervals on a timed run of a predetermined course. The objective is to achieve a stated average speed on your return.
This year’s course was 4 miles and the target average was 30MPH.

There were 7 riders for the event, with one having to pull out before the start due to equipment failure. (It is no good riding on your own in the dark when your lights suddenly stop working!)

That left 6 runners. The results were very close. Only Richard W was slower than required, that netted him a 4th place. Everyone else was a little on the fast side.

Dave T and Dave G took 6th and 5th places. Glen came 3rd only 1mph from the target.

Amazingly, in 1st equal, 2 Ural sidecar outfits ridden by Paul T and Andy C, both with an identical 30.4mph average. Well done gents!